• Login or Register Here.
  • Login is located in the upper right corner of all pages.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 Volkswagen Eurovan AC Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Held vacuum: By rights it should hold indefinitely when achieved. BUT (always involved) the hose seals of just doing it are possible to be the leak back up to lose the full vacuum. IMO a risk we take if it holds for about 30 minutes you are good to go. If it leak you will not know if it pulled outside air in or just hose leaked. Air and A/C don't mix so there's just risks you try to minimize.

Trivial but pertinent note that a full vacuum at SEA LEVEL is holding OUT, about exactly 14.7 PSI of atmospheric pressure. That's only that much vs holding pressures up over 300 in operation is mandatory or would leak out.

Just that. Carry on,
    Tom
    MetroWest, Boston

Comment

I appreciate the thoughts and comments re: vacuum. Yesterday, mostly by curiosity, I went and cranked all the knurled nuts on the manifold setup a little more and pulled the vacuum again. Still this morning, it is sitting at 30 inHg vacuum. Nice. At this point, I won't be able to fill it for a couple days, but I'm excited to surely let y'all know how great it's working!

Comment

Thread got long on me. So now just tightening up hoses to manifold for gauges sealed it? Sure can. Those should be tube "O" rings in hoses if you love that set go searching the web they do sell them. More like a tiny toilet paper roll so don't expect ordinary. Pest to get old out new in use dental picks if you do. Overtightening hoses will destroy those if you keep moving them on and off will end up the leak all the time just FYI,
        Tom
        MetroWest, Boston

Comment

Just to finish out the thread--For giggles I left the gauges connected until I actually had a chance to buy the freon and install it-several days. It held vacuum the entire time.

So I filled up the system and it runs great now!

Again, thank you all for your help with this project. Later on, I'll be working on my wife's car and at some point in the future I want to reinstall the air conditioning in my old VW Bus. It came with dealer-installed AC option which I removed but saved years ago. Since that point, I have swapped the original aircooled engine for a watercooled VW TDI engine. Getting AC going in there will be a lot of fun. That'll be a little while until I can piece together all the parts to put it in, though.

Comment

Working...
          X