• Login or Register Here.
  • Login is located in the upper right corner of all pages.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flushing an Automotive AC System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC is still working fine.
    I guess the noise is expanding freon rather than a compressor noise.
    After opening the hood and listening to the compressor, it sounds smooth and quiet.

This was an experiment in flushing the AC system with denatured alcohol rather than expensive store bought flushing agents.
    At this point I would call it a success and will go this route again in the future.

A GALLON of denatured alcohol was $20 and did the heavy lifting in removing metal and other debris in the system.
    I used ONE quart of commercial flush compound after the denatured alcohol flush.

If you are a DIY person, please don't forget to flush your new evaporator core, like I did this time.
    Save yourwself tons of headache.

Comment

UPDATE
      Almost 10 months later.....

AC still working fine. Nice and Cold in the car and today it was 95F outside.

Comment

IDK how I missed all that even 10 months worth? Anyway if it's now worked especially on a used compressor and didn't see a "condenser" mentioned as new it's hard to argue anything now. Good luck for it to last a good long time for you,
        Tom
        MetroWest, Boston

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Greenleaf View Post
          IDK how I missed all that even 10 months worth? Anyway if it's now worked especially on a used compressor and didn't see a "condenser" mentioned as new it's hard to argue anything now. Good luck for it to last a good long time for you,
          Thanks Tom.
          I was mostly concerned with using a substitute for very expensive flushing chemicals.

Apparently it worked. I did not change the condenser.
          Used compressor I just pulled off another vehicle at U-Pull-It junk yard.

If the time comes I need to open the system again I will probably change the condenser just to be safe. It's very cold now, but still not "quite" as cold as a new car system.
          But cold enough to make the inside of a Dodge Caravan chilly on a 95 degree day.

Thanks for the positive reply.

Comment

It works is the end game for this. Reason for tossing condensers is they are such fine paths and clog or anything shutting down one end you can lose more than just what got plugged - debris from compressors is the reason.

Used is scary but did and would. Look for a right one still in the car see by clues it was working, has pressure and not out in the weeds for long. Read inspection stickers and know a ton about it.

All worked! That was a lot of work to find a non front end wreck.

Chems etc the costs are nasty IDK how to help that. Compressed air for some stuff at high volume. Make sure what you use is dry and not still in it of course. IDK how that would mess up but it wouldn't be working long if things weren't right,

Tom
            MetroWest, Boston

Comment

Working...
            X