• Login or Register Here.
  • Login is located in the upper right corner of all pages.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 Nissan Hardbody hot air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK - hard enough when a system is erratic and almost pointless if behaving do mess around with it unless you can find some whacked reason like a slipping belt for some reason - oil or something on it or just not quite tight enough but do avoid overtightening any belt that's adjustable - many were for assorted set ups even later than this model year.

I have had TX valves just snap to and work for no reason was my own car now ages ago coming home from Florida no less it quit (knew it was icing) shut if off and back on 10 minutes later it worked fine again for years! I didn't bring anything to do anything about it anyway OMG was April, 1993 wasn't too hot by the time I got into S. Carolina anyway just noise of windows open is annoying to me.

That car was about 15 years old then untouched TMK A/C wise since new that I know of?
    Tom
    MetroWest, Boston

Comment

Ok, here is the latest. In early 2019 this truck stopped cooling . I tried it a few more times and nothing. Compressor even started making a noise so I turned it off. It has not been turned on since that time.

Today I stopped at the traffic light and because it was idling rough I reached over and turned the AC on which made it idle better. Never thought any more about it until I started down the road.

it was sort of hot and humid this afternoon so when driving to my shop I noticed cool air coming from the vents. Low and behold the vent temp got to 40 degrees and stayed that way for the 5 miles to shop. I had my dog with me so I left it running while I went into the shop to get something. Cooled all the way back home and stayed at 40 degrees. My dog stayed near the vents

I always keep the thermometer stuck in the vent in this old truck so I will always know where its at so that's how I know the vent temperature. Compressor was nice and quite also.

I am betting when the temps outside get in the 90's it will do the same thing as two years ago but I might be wrong. . My guess is the compressor is worn and just won't hack it when the southern humidity and heat get here ?? what ya think ?

Comment

Originally posted by sixputt View Post
        In early 2019 this truck stopped cooling . I tried it a few more times and nothing. Compressor even started making a noise so I turned it off. It has not been turned on since that time.

I am betting when the temps outside get in the 90's it will do the same thing as two years ago but I might be wrong. . My guess is the compressor is worn and just won't hack it when the southern humidity and heat get here ?? what ya think ?
        I wonder if your 1990 Nissan truck has an AC gap that has increased over time due to wear (like happened with my 1998 Nissan truck).I wonder if your 1990 Nissan truck has an AC gap that has increased over time due to wear (like happened with my 1998 Nissan truck). See Post #73 here: https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads....179905/page-4

Comment

I will read and get back. Thanks

Comment

I will read and get back. Thanks
            Just NEVER add any sealer or refrigerant containing sealer !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cusser View Post

Just NEVER add any sealer or refrigerant containing sealer !!!!
              This truck has never had any of that junk put in. I bought this truck new 31 years ago. I still drive it everyday
              I have not checked the clutch gap yet. It turned cold the last several days and I have not needed the AC. It could be something as simple as that. Do you know what the gap should be ? The days are getting warm again so I might make another attempt to get it going otherwise I just drive the new Toyota and park this one. I will report back.
              Last edited by sixputt; 1 week ago.

Comment

I know on my 1998 4-cylinder Frontier that the gap is listed at 0.012 to 0.024 inches (0.3 to 0.6mm). On my 1998, I simply removed the thinnest shim.

Another way to check - be very careful of belts and fan, etc. - is when the AC is turned on, fan on, engine on and the AC clutch should be engaging but isn't, is to tap on the AC clutch drive plate (center part) with a broom handle and see if that causes it to engage/pull in.

Comment

Thanks. I will check it and post back. Its hot out today here

Comment

Thanks. I will check it and post back. Its hot out today here
                    That's when I had the problem - on hotter days !!! Phoenix !

Comment

Working...
                    X